On the 2nd April 2016, the winners of the Nukits competition (Young Reader’s Choice Award) were announced in the Estonian Children’s Literature Centre.
1. Ilmar Tomusk for his crime series (Kriminaalne suvevaheaeg, Kriminaalsed automatkajad and Kriminaalne pangapresident, Tammerraamat, 2014–2015) – 676 votes
2. Andrus Kivirähk for his book Karneval ja kartulisalat (Varrak, 2015) – 522 votes
3. Mika Keränen with his crime series (Kuldne Lurich and Küttepuuvargad, Keropää, 2014–2015) – 404 votes
1. Heiki Ernits for his illustrations of the book Karneval ja kartulisalat by Andrus Kivirähk (Varrak, 2015) – 555 votes
2. Hillar Mets for his illustrations of the crime series by Ilmar Tomusk (Kriminaalne suvevaheaeg, Kriminaalsed automatkajad and Kriminaalne pangapresident, Tammerraamat, 2014–2015) – 373 votes
3. Heiki Ernits for the illustrations of the book Nõianeiu Nöbinina ja korstnapühkija by Kristiina Kass (Tänapäev, 2015) – 313 votes
The winners were awarded a bronze statue and a prize from the Cultural Endowment of Estonia.
In the Nukits competition (Young Reader’s Choice Award) children up to 16 years old can vote for their favourite writers and illustrators in libraries throughout Estonia and online. This year, children could choose their favourites from 207 books published in the years 2014 and 2015; 119 Estonian writers and 98 illustrators competed for children’s votes. 7,859 children voted altogether, 634 of them online.
The Nukits competition takes place every second year, since 1992. Previous winners can be found here.
Triin Soone, Director of the Estonian Children’s Literature Centre, email@example.com, (+372) 617 7230